Issue: You need to move the Remote Desktop Licensing from an existing Remote Desktop license server to a new server.
Solution: You must deactivate remote desktop licensing on the old server and then move/configure remote desktop licensing on the new server.
- Document the configuration of your existing license server and your RD Licensing environment, including:
- The quantity and type (user/device) of Remote Desktop CALs that are installed on the license server.
- The Remote Desktop Session Host servers configured to use the existing license server.
- RDS CAL purchase agreement documentation from the Microsoft licensing site
- Install the Remote Desktop Licensing role pre-requisites on the new RD Licensing Server.
- Install the RD Licensing role service on the new server.
- Activate the new Remote Desktop License Server.
- Open Manage RDS CALs Wizard in Remote Desktop Licensing Manager and Migrate the RDS CALs from the existing license server to the new license server.
- Configure the RD Session Host servers to use the new license server by changing Remote Desktop Licensing Mode.
Note: clients that have received a license from the old RD Licenscing server will continue to operate until the issued license expires, at which point the client will request a new license that will be issued by the new license server.
- After you have confirmed that the RD Session Host servers in your environment are configured to use the new license server, deactivate the old license server.
- Uninstall the Remote Desktop Licensing role service from the old license server.