Much focus is placed on the IT security of business. However, this guide focuses on your personal IT security which can impact all areas of life including your businesses. This guide is by no means exhaustive, however it does focus on key areas I feel are most important to cover in the initial securing of your digital life.
Services to secure with Two Factor Authentication:
- Financial Sites
- Yahoo Account / Yahoo Mail (if you use that garbage)
Why? The above sites are the critical foundation of your technology, compromise of these accounts can bring your whole digital house down. I recommend you employ two-factor authentication on any online property that you use, most offer it at this point. You can use the Google Authenticator app or receive a text message as your second factor.
Improving offline security of bank accounts:
- Call bank and say you want a passphrase and security questions when someone calls to access your account. There is general an additional optional layer your bank can employe when asked, varies from bank to bank
Limit web browser data compromise and improve browser security:
- Encrypt your data sync’d to google with your own private passphrase: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1181035?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&oco=1
Did you know that your history, passwords and other data are sync’d from Chrome to Google cloud? Encrypt your sync’d data package using your own unique passphrase so only you and your devices can decrypt it.
Improve security on your devices:
6 digit pin, even though you use thumbprint to unlock the 6 digit pin makes phone exponentially harder to decrypt
Enable Mac’s built in disk encryption
Improve security of your favorite shopping Web Sites:
- Setup two-factor auth on your amazon account (this will cover your AWS accounts under your amazon account as well)
Secure your Domain Registration Accounts
- Setup two-factor auth on your GoDaddy and other domain related accounts.